Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Yoga

I'm back! Tomorrow I will write a longer post dedicated to where I have been these past three weeks. I promise you it is not all that exciting. I took a hiatus from blogging and a sojourn this weekend (if you do not understand the meaning of  these words please refer to - amyanncall.blogspot.com) ;)

For today I would like to blog about Yoga and exercising.  A few weeks ago I wrote a blog focusing on me getting healthy and working out the proper way. I did not include in that blog the fact that I have been trying my damnedest to become dedicated to Yoga and my Tuesday/Thursday night Yoga classes. My gym offers Yoga on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I try very hard to go every Tuesday but within the past month and a half, or so it seems, something always comes up that makes it so I can not go. A few times I have been called in to waitress because people need their shifts covered. Then I get extremely pissed that I agreed to cover the shift because I only end up making 30$ and I would much rather be at Yoga. Thursday nights it is near impossible to go to Yoga... mainly because I work every other Thursday... and the Thursdays that I don't work I am typically drinking wine and eating dinner with my cousin (I assure you - giving that up would be a lot more detrimental to my health and stress than skipping out on Yoga). 

Wow! It seems when I don't blog for a while I become very rambley (I invented this word just now).

Anywhoooo.... Today was an exciting day for Yoga because as an early birthday present I got brand new Yoga pants from Jonathan! Since I had Yoga tonight he let me open them, so I could wear them... and let me tell you... I think I would live in yoga pants if I could... SOOO comfy! 



My boyfriend is one of the best gift givers in the world. He ALWAYS knows which purse, pants, necklace, you name it - he know what I will like best... Check out the print on these pants: 


Anyone who knows me... knows I love purple and I looove stars. He is the best. <3 He also took these pics just so I could blog about my awesome new yoga pants!! haha

So aside from the excitement of the new pants.. Yoga was very nice and relaxing tonight. It was a fairly small class tonight... only six of us. I love the way my body feels completely stretched and relaxed after I leave yoga. It is a wonderful feeling. But here is a few things I have learned about myself since I started yoga: 

  1. How is it that women that are at least 2x my age have WAY more flexibility than I do?? I mean I can HARDLY touch the ground when stretching my hands to the floor. And my "downward facing dog" - I can not get my feet to stay flat on the floor for the life of me. Yet these other woman are completely stretched out and for the most part have better balance than me too!!! I think I am getting better though... I definitely felt a little more stretchy tonight. And my tree pose was hardly wobbly at all!
  2. I have ZERO ability to concentrate. During the namaste (???) (those of you who don't do yoga - this is like the meditation piece) I can not focus on my breathing or keep my mind clear. Tonight we were supposed to be listening to this gong thing ring and only be focusing on that sound, which was extremely difficult (especially when it became so faint you could barely hear it!). During the time that I was supposed to be listening this is what I was doing - thinking about wanting pasta for dinner when I went home, listening to the noise of the fan, listening to the sounds of the gym outside of the yoga room, I then thought about how I had to do my laundry and how I don't really want to sub tomorrow, but I should if they call me... I also thought about how cold my feet were and how cold your whole body becomes when you are just lying still on the floor. I also thought at one point that I felt like I was at the dentist because my mouth was open partially (because it felt relaxed- she told us not to clench our teeth), but then it got dry like it does at the dentist.... and then I even thought about how I couldn't stop thinking about things and just focus. Just for some perspective - namaste only lasts about 5 (at most 10) minutes. My mind really can't shut the hell up for 5 freakin minutes???
  3. The meditation piece is not called namaste - that is just the prayer greeting at the end. I can not find the actual word... hahaha. I think it starts with an S though. I am clearly a yoga novice.
Moral of the story - I love my yoga pants, but I think I suck at Yoga. I will persist though :)






4 comments:

  1. OMG! I LOVE this! You are sooooo freakin cute! I love you, Hun!

    xoxo - Jeni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Namaste is exactly the reason I could never do yoga...and incidentally also the reason I can't sleep.

    ReplyDelete