Candy Creations... for dummies! Why I say dummies you ask? Because it was so utterly simple!!! Anyone who is looking for simple, easy gift ideas I'm telling you - Make some fudge and some delicious Saltine Toffee! Today AC came over and we made a wonderful creation. This was a very successful test run :)
Step One - Go to the grocery store and buy these 4 ingredients.
- Box of Saltine Crackers
- Milk Chocolate Chips
- Brown Sugar (if you have brown sugar in your cabinet, please check it prior to going to the grocery store. Or else this may lead to a second trip since the brown sugar was hard as a rock)
Step Two - Go back to the grocery store to buy the ingredients you had - that you did not check first ;)
Step Three - Yay! The actual cooking!
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees
2. Arrange crackers in a layer on a greased baking sheet.**
3. In a small sauce pan heat 1 cup of brown sugar and 1 stick of butter. To a rolling boil.***
4. This step was scary – pour the BOILING sugar liquid onto the saltine crackers (without burning yourself – I’m happy to say I was successful)
5. At this step I got slightly confused because it did not spread very easily or coat all the crackers. HOWEVER – the recipe does not lie! It will spread out in the oven. So….
6. ....Bake in the oven for 5 minutes....and....
7. ....Be amazed that the toffee is actually moving over all of the crackers in the oven!
8. Carefully take out of the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
9. Watch the crackers mysteriously move on the pan.****
10. Drop chocolate chips onto crackers.
11. Let chocolate melt and then spread - it spreads very easily and smoothly.
12. Sprinkle extra crumbled up cracker bits on top!
Step Four: Place in the fridge to cool for a ½ hour
Step Five: Smash into smaller pieces – Perhaps using a safer method than I choose to use.
Step Six: ENJOY!!!
QUESTIONS?? I came across:
*Does it matter if the butter is salted or unsalted? This was one of the many questions I asked today.
**My second question - does it matter if the top or bottom of the saltine cracker is face up?? I decided to have the top facing up. It seemed scientifically correct when I thought about it real hard.
*** Question #3 – What exactly is a rolling boil?? I learned that it is when the butter and sugar gets very very bubbly.
****Did that REALLY just happen??? How did those crackers move on their own? The force of toffee is a strong one yes?
- AC also had the question - who knew that toffee was actually just brown sugar and butter melted?? Hmm? Not us - that's for sure.
You think this is easy – wait to you hear about the amazing fudge recipe that involves a microwave and a refrigerator.....