Do you ever have those moments of complete irrational panic? When 3 thousand thoughts flash through your mind in the matter of seconds? What causes that? What makes our brains move that quickly when we panic?
Yesterday I was driving and as I was about to pull into the laundromat to pick up my clothes, I drove through a cloud of smoke. In the matter of 3 seconds here are the irrational thoughts I had:
- Oh my god! is the laundromat on fire!?
- Oh my god! I can't afford to buy all new clothes!
- Would I get some kind of $$ from the laundromat if that was the case?
- ... like insurance or something?
- oh oh oh it would be fun to go on shopping spree!
- ...hmm... wait a second....*sniffs air* that smells more like burning rubber.
- Okay... so I don't think the laundromat is on fire... but maybe...
- Holy Shit! Is my car on fire!?
Finally... I reach the parking spot. I jump out of my car and take a look at my hood... no smoke. I also checked my exhaust... looked all clear there...
At last I experience a rational though -
....oooooh some jack-ass must have been being all big and tough and attempted to peel-out at the stop sign. Hence the smell of burning rubber, hence the smoke. Stupid idiots.
Panic. It's a funny emotion.