2010 has not been a year that I would choose to relive. I've had my fair share of tough times this year. The lose of family members - in more ways than one - was the hardest part of the year. I can't believe it has been almost a year since we lost Grampy. It still hurts to realize the strongest man I have ever known is no longer here. And sometimes when I think back on all of the awfulness that happened with my mom this year - it still shocks me a little bit. Sometimes it's hard to accept when important things in life take a turn for the worst. Those two events made the past year especially difficult.
The struggles with jobs this year (let's get real - the past 3 years!) hasn't exactly been a highlight either. This year I learned that rejection sucks and that sometimes when you work your ass off there unfortunately is not going to be instant gratification. I had always thought that I would work hard in school, get my degree, pass the MTELS, get my licensure and be a teacher. I never realized the game you have to play along the way. Just to recap - I graduated in May 2008. I spent September 2008 working as a second grade teacher until December. Then I spent January 2009 to April 2009 working as a 5th grade teacher and then finished off the school year in a 5th grade Special Ed room even though I'm not certified. Most would think - 3 maternity leaves in one district - that's a shoe-in. It's not. The following year I tried a different tactic - I took a part time job in a wealthy district as a reading teacher. I worked hard, did a great job and gained respect from students and teachers. Then when the year was coming to a close and jobs were posted for the following year - I couldn't even get an interview. I was pigeon-holed in a job that I was overqualified for. Then again at the start of this year I tried a whole new tactic. That I would just substitute and pray that something amazing would come out of it. I am happy to report that I enjoyed subbing in my home town and I think I got to know a lot of important people and I think I proved myself as a great teacher to people who count. Unfortunately - they did not have any pregnant teachers. So it's off to a new town for me! I start my new job on January 6th. So on the job front - I really am hoping that this year is my year!
Aside from the struggles this year has also taught me a lot. And that's what life is really all about right? This year I learned:
- Even when life continues to kick you on your ass - feeling sorry for yourself doesn't change a thing. Keeping your head held high and a positive attitude is what gets you through the tough days.
- The people in your life that really matter are the people who are going to be there - no matter what. These are the people who will know you are having a bad day without you even having to tell them.
- Friendships come in all shapes, forms, and sizes. Some friendships are life-long and are those friends you can depend on for anything. Some friends are the kind you meet up with for a coffee every few months and catch-up. Some friends completely disappear because life gets too busy. Some friends you get together with on the weekends and get silly. But there is no question about which friends are better and all that - because it doesn't matter. Count your blessings that you have all these types of friends and be happy with any kind of relationship that you can have with them.
- Love really does make life a million times better. If I didn't have Jonathan loving me, caring about me, and taking care of me this year -
I don't think I would've survivedit would have been a lot harder.
- Families can be nontraditional. Friends are the family you choose. Family are the people who are in your life and truly care.
|It's already starting awesome with this cool date - 1/1/11|